ONE ROOM SCHOOLS
Report of Schools of New Brunswick
Provincial Archives of
New Brunswick P888-56. Circa 1920,
adults and children stand outside of the one room Willow
Grove School House.
Among them are Murchie, Enid, and Vera.
June was a
wonderful month as not only did school close but the last
day of school brought a picnic with visitors arriving
carrying tins of sandwiches and sweets. Everyone joined in
the fun and frolic as well as catching up on all the latest
We had decorated the iron stove with Blue Flags, Ferns,
Butter Cups, Daisies and Lilacs.
Since there was no hydro in the school, an old gramophone
kept us in tune as we sang O’ Canada, followed by a musical
drill and recitations.
Three girls were doing a Thank You to the guests for coming
but got mixed up in their lines and were about to burst into
tears when laughter erupted from our visitors with lots of
Now was the time for enjoyment and we all headed out
in the yard to play a game of Scrub.
The ladies had a relay race carrying an uncooked egg in a
The men were busy playing horseshoes while discussing the
repairs that need to be done over the summer.
The women heard all this talking and gathered around to add
their two cents. But it wasn’t long until they disagreed on
when the old fashioned desks had been replaced. If they had
had access to The Annual Report of
the Schools of New Brunswick for 1928-29 by
the Chief Superintendent of Education and read the
Inspectors’ Reports, the answer was there - “Titusville -
New single adjustable furniture”. Also in the list of
improvements in the counties of St. John and Kings Counties
by Inspector G. J. Marr, who had made 440 school visits,
lots of facts are given such as Loch Lomond School
had its roof shingled, sides clapboarded, building and
outhouses painted. Otter Lake had new posts put under the
building and a new door-step. Barnesville, Bayview, and
Holderville received new dictionaries while Willow
Grove fell heir to a new flag chart.
The names of teachers in the schools throughout the province
can provide genealogical information and sometimes a clue as
to how the path crossed for many a bride and groom.
The 1929 list contains the names of four hundred and seventy
six candidates who wrote the Matriculation and one hundred
and twenty five who wrote the High School Leaving
At the end of the 1939 school year there were 2,893 teachers
employed in the public schools of New Brunswick with 454
At Lower New Salem, School District No. 2, Parish of
Blissfield, Northumberland County, the old schoolhouse was
torn down and an excellent new building erected. This
building is well lighted and has very good blackboards.
Many teachers in rural schools prepared students for Normal
School - later known as Teachers’ College.
Determination was needed by the rural students who were able
to pass the exams without having the experience of attending
To us who went to the one room schools, the memories of a
wood burning box stove, the dipper and pail of water,
raising the flag up the flagpole, copying notes from the
blackboard, writing on a slate, a straight pen and ink well
and the trips on a cold day to the outhouse ever remain
vivid in our memory bank.
Gradually there are fewer and fewer of us to remember the
one room schools and fewer still of the buildings left
standing. I suggest you send digital picture copies to
Archivist, Joshua Green, Provincial Archives of New
Brunswick -Email email@example.com
or Phone (506) 453-4428 so memories can be kept in a secure
place for future generations.
The old Journals of the Legislative Assembly, is where the
reports of the Chief Superintendent of Education appeared.
These reports would have been tabled in the Legislature and
included with all the other annual reports in the Journals.
The Annual Report of the Schools of New Brunswick started in
1880, under that title. But before that there were reports
of the Superintendent called by other names. The Common
Schools Act of 1871 was the legislation that provided for a
free non-sectarian system, and from that year until 1879 the
report of the Chief Superintendent was known as the Report
of Common, Superior, Grammar and Normal Model Schools.
Prior to the 1871 act, these reports were known as the
Reports of the Chief Superintendent of Education, or the
Superintendent of Parish Schools, depending on how far back
Although spending hours looking through the Annual Reports
of the Schools of New Brunswick is time consuming, the
results are often quite fascinating and one gathers much
information on the teachers, students, repair of buildings,
and more than just the teaching of the A B Cs.
Back to Home of rubycusack dot com