New Brunswick
Museums and ArchivesTo Visit 

To Dad, the first week in July meant getting prepared for the haying season, thus a cracked handle in the hay fork and the need for a new pulley for the pitching machine was his reason to head to Sussex to visit Moffett's Hardware Store.
To many family researchers, July means it is time to make preparations for trips to museums and archives throughout New Brunswick 

The Kings County Museum, Hampton is a treasure of genealogical information and artifacts. The jail cell of Henry More Smith has a story worth hearing. The hours are Monday to Saturday from 10:00 am until 4:30 pm.

The Agricultural Museum
in Sussex is an ideal place to gain insight into the implements used by the farmers of yesteryear. The wife has not been forgotten - visit her kitchen, parlour and bedroom. Don’t just ‘walk through’ - plan to spend time examining each artifact.

In Kingston Historic District on the Kingston Peninsula be sure to visit 1810 Carter House Tea Room and Gift Shop, John Fisher Memorial Museum, Trinity Church, the Loyalist Burial Ground and the Anglican Church Rectory. On Saturday mornings the two Farmers' Markets are open and selling local produce and crafts, and both serve-up a large breakfast.

At Gagetown, the Tilley House and Queens County Court House with the Hetherington Research Center for those researching Queens County history and genealogy, may hold the missing piece to your Queens County puzzle.

The Archives & Research Library of the New Brunswick Museum, 277 Douglas Avenue, Saint John has numerous documents useful for genealogical research including family charts, correspondence, diaries, government documents, church records, county histories, biographies, and minutes of societies.

The Jewish Historical Museum, 29 Wellington Row, Saint John has information relating to the history of the Saint John Jewish Community - synagogues, organizations, general community involvement in Saint John, genealogy, oral interviews with community members, photographs and the Holocaust. 

In the early 1800's, the Merritt family moved into their new home at the corner of Germain Street and Union Street in Saint John. This Loyalist House, provides a look at how life was lived and serves as a proud reminder of Saint John's British Loyalist heritage.

Facts, stories and lore of shipbuilding and ship-going ancestors can be found at the Quaco Museum, St. Martins. Also plan a visit to the Fundy Trail.

The extensive collections in the Native, Acadian, and Loyalist fields as well as historical accounts from the letters of those who lived the events are waiting for you at the York-Sunbury Museum located in the old Officers' Quarters, 571 Queen St., Fredericton.

While in Fredericton, also pay a visit to the School Days Museum in the Justice Building Annex. It houses artifactual and archival history of public school education in New Brunswick.

The Historical Museum of the village of Perth-Andover in the old Methodist Church, built in 1837, provides interesting information on the Kincardineshire and other immigrants.

The museum in New Denmark gives a peek into life of the settlers who chose this area as their new home

Albert County Museum at Hopewell Cape has documents on life in Albert County from the early 1700's to the 1950's. The museum buildings are themselves artifacts, consisting of a gaol, court house and forge all dating from 1845, and host to the haunting stories of those days.

Keillor House, Dorchester, was built in the early 1800's by Yorkshire-born stonemason John Kéillor and contains nine working fireplaces and most of its original construction. Artifacts range from antiques to a fascinating display of weapons and implements made by inmates of the nearby Federal Maximum Security Prison.

The Fort Beauséjour National Historic Site was built by the French in 1751 and was captured by English troops in 1755. The battle proved to be a portentous conquest in the Seven Years War that saw the fall of Quebec and the end of French colonial hopes. The defeat of Fort Beauséjour also led to the tragic expulsion of the Acadians in 1755.
The Kent County Museum, Buctouche was built in 1880 as the Convent of the Immaculate Conception by the Sisters of Charity. The museum pays tribute to the skills of the early Acadian carpenters.

Many documents, genealogical records, other relevant material and literature pertaining to the Miramichi Region await you at St. Michael's Museum and Genealogical Centre, Miramichi.

Overlooking the Miramichi River, at Bartibog, the MacDonald Farm Historic Site provides a nostalgic journey back into the history and excitement of the early days along the Miramichi. The site tells the story of an early Scottish settler, Alexander MacDonald, his family, and their way of life in 1820.

The Doak Historic Site, in Doaktown, commemorates a leading entrepreneur of the Miramichi, Squire Robert Doak, and his pioneer family. The 19th century historic house is furnished with an original collection representing the period of 1830 to 1890.    

Once you have viewed the collections at the Charlotte County Archives in St. Andrews, drop into the Sheriff Andrews House that was built in 1820, by Elisha Shelton Andrews, who was the son of the Loyalist Reverend Samuel Andrews.

The Charlotte County Museum, St. Stephen portrays the human history of Charlotte County from Loyalist beginnings to the mid 20th century.

The Grand Manan Museum is the proud showcase of the history of the island, and includes the Grand Manan Historical Society collections.

By the way, there are several other museums and archives in New Brunswick which would be worthy of a visit.

Visit Ruby's Bookshelf
New and Used Genealogical and Historical books of New Brunswick for sale.

Back to Home of  rubycusack dot com